Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sinuses and Foreign Heads of State

Last week I went to an ENT for a problem with a sinus infection  As I walked into the office of this new doctor, I was blithely unaware of the potentially international significance of my two innocent-looking nostrils.  Soon, though, I was asked to sign the Notice of Privacy Practices of this Ear, Nose & Throat Clinic.  Listed were the many circumstances in which they would be permitted to release my Individually Identifiable Health Information ((IIHI).  Yes, you may have guessed it!  They are allowed to release information about my nostrils "in order to protect . . . foreign heads of state."
Privacy Policy
Nostrils may be small seemingly insignificant orifices.  They may produce unpleasant discharge (sinuses not overly terrific, or S.N.O.T).  But who would have guessed that they have their own small place to play in international affairs?

Originally published Nov. 25, 2008.

No comments: