Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Sir Bob

I wanted to say a few words of thanks to Sir Bob Russell who, until the recent election, was Member of Parliament for Colchester, my home town.

I have lived in the United States for many years, and am now a U.S. citizen.  I have no involvement at all in British politics, though I do follow it keenly.  I still love Colchester, though.  It is where I was born and raised.  It is where family members still live.  And this is why I want to thank Sir Bob for all the work he has done for Colchester.

Sir Bob was Member of Parliament for Colchester from 1997-2015.  Not only does this represent a great number of years.  It represents an incredible amount of work.  He is a man who puts in amazingly long hours.  He is a legend when it comes to devotion to his work.  I remember years ago visiting my sister in Colchester.  Some flier was placed through the letterbox.  My sister looked out the window and commented, "That was Bob Russell."

Sir Bob (he was knighted in 2012--very well deserved indeed), has devoted decades to the service of his fellow citizens.  Before his election to Parliament he had already served twenty years as a councillor in Colchester.  One year he served as mayor.

I have never met Sir Bob, and can only guess at this, but it seems to me that it must be particularly hard for him to have been defeated in the recent election.  Wherever one stands on the political spectrum, I think we can all agree that it is not easy to lose.

It might be easy for me to say this, from 4000 miles away, and with no personal commitment to the process, but let me say it anyway.  Bob Russell did not really lose.  Yes, he was defeated in the election.  He remains, though, a winner, and a most remarkable man who has worked incredibly hard for others over the years.  He deserves the gratitude of many.

In recent remarks Sir Bob suggested that now he could now live a normal life.  Now he gets a chance to rest a bit, and a rest was never more well-deserved.  I have little doubt though that he will continue to find ways of serving others.  It is the very nature of this remarkable man.
'
Thank you Sir Bob.


No comments: