Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Softsoap

I was waiting for the doctor today, an ENT, and my brain was a bit fuzzy, not having had my first coffee of the day yet.  My eyes groggily scanned the room and lighted upon an interesting choice of words on a Softsoap container.  Apparently this Softsoap contained "real moisturizing lotion."

I found myself wondering if other soaps might contain artificial lotion instead of the real kind offered here.  Silly thoughts, really.  After all, marketing verbiage is marketing verbiage.

By now I have had my coffee for the day.  Sadly, though, the thought of this Softsoap has remained with me.  Even more sadly, I took the time to look up the ingredients and found out some rather unsettling information.  My source is a blog written by nicolelstjean on Wordpress.  Go here for her complete list of ingredients.  Some ingredients are considered harmless.  Some are not.  One of the questionable substances is Triclosan.  "Effects include evidence of moderate endocrine disruption at low doses, immune system and allergenic effects, and classifications as a skin, eye, and lung irritant and as an expected toxicant that is harmful to the non-reproductive organ system."

Follow the link to the blog if you want to learn more bad news.  In the meantime, don't forget to wash your hands properly.  The CDC recommends you wash them for a minimum of twenty seconds, and suggests that to keep time you "hum the 'Happy Birthday' song from beginning to end twice."

Perhaps the "Happy Birthday" song is appropriate.  After all, those candles on a birthday cake might also be toxic.  Go here to learn about toxins from birthday cake candle smoke.

Sort of a scary world, isn't it?  But I wouldn't worry to much.  After all, worrying can be bad for your health!

No comments: